Blog Post 5: Spillers Conditioning Fibre VS Pavo Daily Plus
Now, there are a lot of people who believe what they are feeding for ratio, vits and min specs and price is pretty good.
Unfortunately, most are too scared or lazy or possibly disinterested to do the comparisons themselves. So, that's where I come in.
I am simply offering a very simple differences chart, so that YOU can see what each brand is offering for their own brand of Chaff. You may decide to stick with your own feed, but considering these are the leading brands for Spain for this feed, it is good to see what you are buying and what you may be ABLE to get for less/more.
DailyPlus; €18.48 per bag
- Contains no added Vits or Mins
- 15kg Bag
- Ideally used with another Pavo Base Feed (For the lack of Vits/Mins)
- Alfalfa and Straw
- Vegetable Oil
- Higher Fibre Content (6% approx.)
- Better intake with water
Conditioning Fibre; €26.15 per bag
- Contains Added Vits and Mins (Vit A, Vi D3, Vit E etc)
- 20kg Bag
- Can be fed on own or with any cube/mix (Not a Forage Sub)
- British Alfalfa and Straw
- Soya Oil (Non heating)
- Higher Starch Level (7%) (A hind gut essential for Energy)
- Higher D.E (Energy) (0.6%)
- Higher Oil Content (2.75%) (Pavo unspecified)
- No excitability
- Builds Condition
- Short Chopped (Provides Bulk)
No Differences or Very Little:
- Same Protein Levels
- Encourages Mastication and relieves boredom
- Increases Salivation
- Promote Healthy Digestion (High Fibre)
- 0.2kg to 0.5kg per feed (1-2 handfulls approx)
- Ideal for most horses and ponies
Difference per bag (Price): €7.67 (Pavo cheaper)
Difference per bag (Size): 5kg.
Duration difference per bag (When feeding 1kg per day): 5 days (In favour of Spillers)
Bags Purchased in 365 days: 18.5 bags approx (Spillers) and 24.5 bags approx (Pavo)
Annual Spend: €484 (Spillers) and €453 (Pavo)
Do I think you are getting a more complementary chaff despite saving €31 annually with Pavo?: No.